Monday, March 17, 2014

Review: My Ex From Hell by Tellulah Darling



My Ex From Hell 
(The Blooming Goddess Trilogy, #1)

by Tellulah Darling
Published: April 1, 2013
Publisher: Te Da Media 

Synopsis:
Sixteen-year-old Sophie Bloom wishes she’d been taught the following:
a) Bad boy’s presence (TrOuBlE) + teen girl’s brain (DraMa) = TrAuMa (Highly unstable and very volatile.)
b) The Genus Greekulum Godissimus is notable for three traits: 1) awesome abilities, 2) grudges, and 3) hook-ups, break-ups, and in-fighting that puts cable to shame.

Prior to the Halloween dance, Sophie figures her worst problems involve adolescent theatrics, bitchy teen yoga girls, and being on probation at her boarding school for mouthy behaviour. Then she meets bad boy Kai and gets the kiss that rocks her world.

Literally.

This breath stealing lip lock reawakens Sophie’s true identity: Persephone, Goddess of Spring. She’s key to saving humanity in the war between the Underworld and Olympus, target numero uno of Hades and Zeus, and totally screwed.

Plus there’s also the little issue that Sophie’s last memory as Persephone was just before someone tried to murder her.

Review: (Please note that I shortened the synopsis since it is rather long. The full synopsis is available on Amazon and Goodreads.)

Despite my love of Greek mythology, I've never been drawn to books based on these myths or their demi-god offspring. Yet the cover and the synopsis of My Ex From Hell had me thinking that this would be different than I've always thought those books would be like. And it was in the greatest way possible.

I have to admit that Darling's writing style was a bit hard to get into at first. Only a few pages in I was questioning if I'd get through the first chapter, let alone the whole book. Then something happened. Sophie's character began coming to life. By the end of the first chapter I was in for the long haul.

Sophie's voice was great. There was enough sass in her that she came across as a real teen, yet not so much that I wanted to smack her upside the head :) Her friends Hannah and Theo are equally as great. Hannah is brainy and has the beauty that I'd assumed Sophie would have (considering she's the goddess), and Theo is the sweet protective friend who had me thinking there was more to him than just a secondary character by the end.

It was the relationship between Sophie and Kai that I absolutely loved. Even though there is attraction and a pretty hot and heavy history (that Sophie doesn't remember), there is no insta-love. Instead they hide their attraction with prickliness and the mystery surrounding Persephone's death keeps Sophie's suspicions on overdrive.

There was of course a cliffhanger, it is a trilogy after all. I will definitely be picking up book 2. I can't wait to get back into Sophie's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment