Saturday, November 28, 2009

Balance

One of the hardest parts of writing for me is balance.  No, not balancing character development and plot, action and description.  It's the balance between writing and the rest of my life.  Maybe if I was a full-fledged author, secluded in my office from 9-5 I'd be fine.  Problem is, I'm not a full-fledged author.  Instead I trudge my way to work every weekday morning to teach my 21 kids, then come home and take care of my 1 child.  Writing for me is precious time.  When Calleigh is down for the night I turn to the computer and begin typing in earnest. 

If only inspiration would come on demand.

Most of the time I sit down five minutes at a time, frantically trying to get a few words down before Calleigh is begging to be lifted and played with.  When she is asleep I have a husband who doesn't get it.  To him my writing is a hobby.  "When are you gonig to get it published?" "Why do you spend so much time writing?"  "Why don't you do something fun?"  How do I explain this is my something fun?  Yes,  I spend a lot of time on the computer, but I'm not doing it in vain (I hope).  I have plans to submit to agents, to get my work published.  Writing for me isn't just a hobby, it's a way to express myself, all of the stories that run through my mind.  And one day I hope it pays for the roof over our head.

Until that day comes, I'll balance.  Five minutes here and there is better than none at all.

6 comments:

  1. That's right! If all you can do is five minutes here and there, you're still a writer. It seems to me all the published folks started out like us. :)

    (This is corra at TNBW.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a country doc. I've been at work on my novel, 'The Mandolin Case, ' in snatches of spare time since 2000. My Lit agent believes it will be published in 2010. The world belongs to the tortises.

    drtombibey.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wish there was more time in the day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm lucky in that most of the people I know are incredibly supportive of my writing and know that with work I have very little time. Occasionally people I know ask me about when I'm going to be published as if I'm not writing until that happens. Yes, I am working on my first book to be published but I've been writing for years now.
    Thanks for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ang, I know all about the balance. I think I'm guilty of letting the scales tip in the favor of writing more than I should, though!

    ReplyDelete