Monday, January 18, 2010

Voices

So, I've been frantically editing and writing this weekend trying to get Songbird into shape for the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award.  At this point I've had some amazing feedback on it from tNBW and even though there are more revisions that I need to do (thanks Tirz!) I'm going to have to wait.  I just don't have the time to   them (and edit them) before the contest.  I'm going to enter as is and see what happens.  And really it was a sigh of relief.  I'm done.  Well, at least for now.

But just as I put Songbird to the side, Janie has been demanding that I finish Evolution.  It was almost impossible to get back into.  I started reading from the beginning and at times I felt as if I was reading it for the first time.  Luckily, by chapter twenty-four (where I had left off)  Janie was telling me what to do again.  I cranked out two chapters and am ready for the next.

Just why is this post titled Voices?  Well, Janie is at war.  Because Phoebe and Olivia are starting to talk. Although, at this point Phoebe is pretty much dominating the other girls.  She giving me bits and pieces of her story, yet I'm not sure how they all fit together. I've always been just a writer who sat down and let the character take me where they needed to go, but this is so different it's like she doesn't even know who or what she is yet.  So I've decided to take a leap of faith and follow in my writing friend Rachel's organization technique.  I'm going to use some index cards and out line Phoebe to death (although I hope it doesn't end in her death!) Until that plan takes shape, I'm going to keep working on Janie.  She's been neglected for too long.

1 comment: