Thursday, January 5, 2012

Review: Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

Forever  
by Maggie Stiefvater
Published: July 2011
Publisher: Scholastic Press, Inc
Available: Amazon

Blurb:

In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. In Linger, they fought to be together. Now, in Forever, the stakes are even higher than before. Wolves are being hunted. Lives are being threatened. And love is harder and harder to hold on to as death comes closing in.

Review:

I was really looking forward to reading this book. Shiver was amazing and Linger was one of those books that I felt just went in a complete circle. I had high hopes that Forever would actually move the story forward.

While I didn't love Forever as much as Shiver, I did love how Stiefvater handled it. With Grace turning at the end of Linger, I was really worried that she was going to drag out the separation between Grace and Sam. There was separation, but it felt so important to the story because you know how much these two characters love each other and that with every day the possibilities for them to be together become harder. When they finally come together, it's in such a simple and comfortable way. I love that they're aren't constantly gushing over each other or doubting each other just to make it more dramatic. They are a simple love story and I love that.

But even with Grace and Sam keeping things simple in the love department, Cole and Isabel bring the drama. They fight, love, despise, lust. And they finally feel like solid characters that are developed enough to share in Grace and Sam's plot.

I've read a number of reviews by people who were disappointed in the ending of this trilogy, but for me it was perfect, at least for Grace and Sam. Now Cole and Isabel are a different story. I would have liked one more chapter for them, but it comes back to who's story is it? Grace and Sam's.

No comments:

Post a Comment