Monday, October 11, 2010

Plans

For those of you who really know me, you know that I'm not a planner. I love he idea of it and occasionally I get a burst of energy  and think - Wow! How cool would it be to have my plans done for once. I do them and it's great until I have to do it again. That's where I fall apart.

Well, this past week I was struck by the planning bug twice! Yes, TWICE! First I decided to get ready for NaNoWriMo. Last year I just wrote and I ended up with Songbird, so glad I did it and I am very proud of what I accomplished with it. For me I feel Songbird is a much strong, and yes, better story than Evolution of Janie. I'm just not working on it because I know the rejections will hurt more. But it was hard to stay focused last year, because I never knew what I was going to write until I sat down each day and started typing.

For this year, I'm going to work on an idea I have called The Pass this is the one I posted the poll on a couple weeks ago. I currently have the opening scenes written, but I'm not going to touch it again until November 1st. The exciting part is that I have the first few chapters planned. Not sure after that, but it's more than I had last year!

The other great thing is that I lost my headphones. What does that have to do with planning? Well, I get really bored on the elliptical at the gym if I don't have music or the tele to watch, so instead I decided to take my notebook. I spent 20 minutes planning out the rest of Liar. It's still pretty vague but I know where it's going and some general chapter points.

I'm not expecting this planning phase to last too much longer, but for now I'm really enjoying knowing what I'm going to write about. :)

On my iPod

Billionaire by Travie McCoy ft. Bruno Mars

2 comments:

  1. I think I know how you feel. I'm usually not one for planning ahead too much. but with a trilogy in the works that will hopefully end up being about 270,000 words or more, not having a plan, is NOT an option!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert Dafydd CadwaladerOctober 11, 2010 at 12:32 PM

    Ah! notebooks! I love them (see also you previous blog entry). I have an archive box with my diaries, notebooks, journals going back to when I was 16 (1966). Many are illustrated with little drawings, maps etc.
    At the moment I have three on the go - one for work, one for local and maritime history and one for the studio. Any ideas for paintings or poetry go in the latter mostly in Welsh.
    When I saw Alice last I presented her with a "moleskin" flip over notebook with elastic band - "as used by Ernest Hemingway". Emily, you too shall have one if you come to visit me. Your lives WILL be organised.:-)

    ReplyDelete