Thursday, July 22, 2010

Death of the Hardcover

Are Kindles and iPads the kiss of death for the hardcover?

I've always considered myself the middle of the road tech savvy kind of person. I'm computer literate and love surfing the web, but I also tend to resist certain aspects of the technology advancing world. When mp3s and iPods became popular I said I'd never do it. I just couldn't see the point. Well, now I have an iPod touch and can't imagine going to the gym without it.

But get rid of my books? I can't see it. Not for me. I actually already do a lot of reading online as part of TheNextBigWriter.com . But that's a different kind of reading. While I'm online I'm reading, reviewing, editing and evaluating every words that crosses the screen and yes, I enjoy what I'm reading otherwise I wouldn't bother with it. But when I want to veg out, relax and read for pure pleasure, with no thought on what the author could have done, I curl up on the couch with a book. An honest to God book, with real paper pages and occasionally smeared ink.

Maybe, just like the iPod I'll cave one day and start buying ebooks but for now I will resist with every fiber in my body.

On my iPod:

Every Subway Car by The Bare Naked Ladies

1 comment:

  1. I'm the same way. I like the feel, sight and smell of a book. Besides, I can't imagine cozying up to a screen as I lie in bed.

    ReplyDelete