Saturday, July 26, 2014

Preview: Waken by Angela Fristoe

In celebration of Waken making into the final stages of editing, I have another excerpt to share! Don't forget to add Waken to you 'Want to Read' list on Goodreads!

Waken (The Woods of Everod, #1)
by Angela Fristoe
Expected Publication: September 1, 2014

Haunted by nightmares of her mother killing her, Janie just wants to be normal.

Davin is out of her league and the emotions he draws from her are almost enough to make her ignore all of the weird things he says.

Almost enough to ignore the way the entire town seems ready to pounce on her as if she were fresh meat.

The town of Everod has been waiting for Janie and if she hopes to survive, she’ll need to confront the truth of who and what she really is.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22815373-waken

Excerpt from Waken by Angela Fristoe


Everod, Colorado hadn’t been my idea of a grand plan. Almost a month ago, Tim packed us up and we moved to the middle of nowhere, forty minutes from the closest town, Telluride, which didn’t say much. Tim thought nothing of moving. Since Elin left, we’d moved countless. I think part of him was searching for her, hoping that with each new city he’d spot her in a crowd.

Maybe that’s why we finally ended up here. This was her town. This was where she’d lived in the years before she had me and the only place she’d ever stayed for longer than a few months. It was where her mother had lived. Tim probably thought she’d come back here some day. I’m pretty sure he was also holding out the hope that if I connected with her roots I’d come to forgive her for leaving like he had. I couldn’t tell him that her leaving was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Bouncing around, my hand gripped the panic handle, white knuckled. We rounded a bend and saw a small parking area already lined with a handful of vehicles. Justin pulled up and I slid down in my seat. People wandered over to greet him as he got out. Doubts engulfed me. I wanted to crawl into the back seat and huddle behind my book. Cooking wasn’t so bad. I could handle it for a month.

A knock on the window refocused my attention. Justin stood there, his eyebrows raised in question.

“Relax. They won’t bite,” I muttered to myself as I reluctantly climbed out of the car. I didn’t go far, just leaned against the door, hunched over with my arms wrapped around myself. It was a position Elin had taught me well. I straightened up and banished all thoughts of her. Justin was preparing to throw me to the wolves this morning and I needed to be ready. Sixty-seven days. I could make it.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment