Thursday, August 9, 2012

Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder 
by Marissa Meyer
Published: January 3, 2012
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Available: Amazon

Synopsis:
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

Review:
I'm usually a little cautious about books that become really popular, but with Cinder I had to read it if only for the cover. That said, I was so glad I decided to. Cinder is unlike any fairy tale retelling I've read. The world Meyer created is so detailed and done in such a casual way that it felt entirely believable.

Cinder, though, is not the typical Cinderella. Not once does she wait around to be rescued from her horrible life by a marriage proposal from Prince Kai. She knows and uses her abilities, first in an attempt to help her sister, and later in an attempt to help the Prince retain control of his kingdom. I really enjoyed how she wasn't falling all over the Prince even though he is kind, charming, and good looking. It was interesting to see the discrimination she faced and how she dealt with it in a very matter-of-fact way. She wanted a better life, she wanted to be judged for her actions and abilities, yet she never sits around having a pity party.

I did find the different ways of referring to people a bit confusing at first. Cinder is also called Miss. Linh, and Linh-mei (with an accent on the e). But after the first few times, I caught on and it added depth to the world building.


There were a few twists thrown in and I think they'll make the sequel even more interesting. Marissa Meyer is definitely an author I will be reading more from.

3 comments:

  1. Nice review! I'm a new follower of yours. (: I'm definitely thinking about reading Cinder now! Always a sucker for fairytale retellings.

    Karen @ Cheerful Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Review. I don't know I like retelling of fairy tales but I have hard time with science fiction. I have so much to read probably wouldn't get it anyway lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good book. Great review.

    ReplyDelete