Friday, October 21, 2011

Zombie Week is Over!

Zombie week is over and yes I am having a delayed reaction! It's been five days since my last Zombie post and I'm still thinking and dreaming Zombies. Yet, despite the restless sleep I've been getting I really enjoyed it. Until I decided to go ahead with devoting that much time and energy to Zombie books, I hadn't really known what to expect from them. It was a very revealing look at my own tastes.

I've always been a romance fan, and if there's no romance in a book then there's very little chance that I'll love the book. Of course there are a few exceptions, but I didn't think the zombie genre would be any different. But it was. With the exception of Carrie Ryan's The Forest of Hands and Teeth series, I didn't really care for the romance angles in the zombie stories. Zombies always have that ability to stand on complete opposite sides of the genre line. Either humorous or dark. The darker novels definitely appealed to me and hovered in the realm of realistic. Maybe that's why the romances in them drew me in. Even with Maberry's Rot & Ruin the side plot romance was interesting.


Zombies need to be Zombies, yes the idea of Zombies being more humanly functional is interesting, but it losses something the more normal they appear. Zombies are suppose to be single minded in their desire for human flesh, and reading about a zombie walking around looking normal, thinking logically and even making out with a living person, was really, well...gross, and not the good gross I want from a Zombie.

Now, the straight out funny was good as well, Ware's Super Zombie Juice Mega Bomb was pure fun and although obviously written for a younger male audience it was fun and didn't try to be something it wasn't. ware recognized his subject matter, stayed within the rules of Zombies, and did it in a way that would appeal to his core audience.

There are still a few Zombie books I'm planning to read and review, but I'm glad that I'm going to be able to take my time with them. For now I'm going to enjoy watching The Walking Dead on repeat and reading something a little less blood thirsty!

No comments:

Post a Comment