Thursday, June 16, 2011

Book Review: Shimmerspell: A Faerie Tale Girl Novella by Kimberly Spencer



Book Blurb from GoodReads:

When sixteen-year-old Jensen Meadows is cut off from her sister and finds herself caught in the middle of an ancient faerie war, she quickly learns that faeries aren't made of sparkly goodness. They're vicious. And worse, they're after her.

With the help of Liam Casey, she searches for her sister and begins to suspect that her whole life has been nothing more than a faerie tale.

But what if the truth turns out to be more than she can handle?

Review:

I've never been a Faerie girl, so this was the first I've read of them. That said, I really enjoyed this novella. It was fast paced, and gave me just enough faerie background that I wasn't entirely confused, but not so much that I had to skim to keep interest.

The characters of Jensen and her friends are well developed (especially Zoe), although I would have liked to see more of Liam. His reactions to Jensen and what she is suggests that there is a lot going on with him that we aren't privy to, because the book is written in close third person, with Jensen being the main character. However, as this is the first in the series, I'm guessing that will be developed later.

I really wish this hadn't been a novella. It was so short that I managed to read it in about an hour. Good for a quick read, but I wanted to know what was going to happen next. As a reader it was a bit frustrating, but as a writer I can see the benefit of having shorter stories that keep the reader wanting more.

Shimmerspell is available for $0.99  in Kindle format at Amazon and all other formats on Smashwords.

No comments:

Post a Comment